Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Leadership and Mentorship in Life

The definition of leadership is simple. Its concept is comprehensible. It is common. But there are deeper meanings in being a leader. It is not only about having people to follow you or be under your authority. It is not only about being in a position to do so. It is really more about being in a situation to do so.

I had a proverbial and literal "pantry talk" with an officemate. He asked me if it would be okay with me if I can be his mentor. He explained that he has observed that I want to be a leader and he wanted me to be a mentor to him in the aspect of life and leadership. He said that people need mentors because "No hermit has become rich." He wants to succeed in his economic aspirations and would like to learn life lessons and principles to help him do so.

He related that a certain group of people invited him to a leadership seminar but it was really a bait for their networking business. Then our conversation, which we never intended to be long, was cut short by a phone call he had to take. He asked to be excused and I told him we can just exchange e-mails.

This conversation with my officemate gave me an inspiration to write down my thoughts about leadership, mentorship and life. So here they are.

Leadership is Situational

In my own experiences, many times was that being a leader is called upon by the situation. I was and is not really someone who goes out of the way to organise something or actively pursue leadership positions. I am both proud and humble to say that there were times when I assumed leadership positions or roles because circumstances called for. There were times when I needed to be the leader so that something can be done so that problems will be solved. Come to think of it, leaders are called not for the sake of having someone to call a leader but because one is needed given the situation.

Everybody has the potential to be a leader. You do not need to be the oldest, or most experienced, or most knowledgeable, or most educated or the most diligent worker. You just need to have sufficient levels of these qualities and, more importantly, the virtue to be capable of facilitating people and resources from goal setting to carrying out action plans and reaching the said aims.

Mentorship can Take the Form of Friendship

You do not need to be a leader to be a mentor. Our friends can be our mentors. We just have to select which of them and which of their qualities would we like to learn and develop. I have learned to listen to everybody, especially my friends. By listening, I mean learning lessons, imbibing the values involved and applying them.

Life is a Journey which Involves Learning and Application

It has been a guiding principle for people that life is not the end point. It is not the destination. This adage has helped address life problems which include the stagnation, deterioration and loss of meaning in life. This means that for us to live a full and meaningful life, we have to see life as a journey.

But sometimes some people misconstrue this analogy as merely going through the process of travelling through the course of life. Some people think that this is their passport to leaving any situation and hopping from one phase in life to another. Some forget that what is more important is facing the present problems, solving them and learning from them. Then, when the right time to really move on will come, we should make sure that we bring the lessons with us and use them. At the same time, the life lessons we have learned we should apply now.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for heeding to my request, Luke. I just find it to be some kind of boring to live life as it is. I wanted to exceed my family's and my friend's expectations of me by hitting my personal goals. It would not be easy to try to achieve my goals on my own. It takes much of the hustle compared to listening to other people's ideas and trying to apply it in my own life. Researching and internalizing the meaning of mentoring and leadership may take a while but reading it from a friend helps me absorb the ideas so quickly. Sharing simple thoughts, even just your everyday thoughts as you ride a jeepney or as you try to watch people around can already mean a lot to me and it may even impact to the lives of other people as well. I will be waiting for the next post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the request. it was a motivation i needed. for the record, this is my first personal blog post even though my work is being a writer for blogs and websites. thanks for the second time for saying that you will be waiting for my next post which is another motivation to write again. thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *noseblood.
    Nice. I need more coffee to analyze those deep words. Maybe you should try writing a book. :) (y)

    ReplyDelete